Sunday, April 11, 2010

I can't decide if there's no offer!

I've been putting this blog post off for far too long, and now, finally, with a cheap cigar in my mouth, sitting out on the back porch, on a cold April evening (7:30pm), I've finally become motivated.  I'm going to start by writing not about my past events which are fairly well documented, but instead with the impending near future.  Well, actually, the slightly recent past.

Just over 4 months ago I submitted my application to Dartmouth College's (yes, the ivy league) Thayer school of engineering.  To most of you this would come as no surprise as you all seem to have such wonderful amounts of enthusiasm and confidence in me (also most of you already knew this so it really REALLY should come as no surprise).  Meanwhile to others of you (particularly the ones that had contact with me when I half-halfheartedly worked through a semester and a half of grad school at Northeastern), you may wonder why I have chosen to go back to school.

To be honest, I'm still partially undecided (though this may just be a defense mechanism since I haven't received a response from Dartmouth yet).  I feel like I've learned enough mechanical engineering-y stuff to survive in the real world... but really I'm the most interested in learning more about how to set up a business and not only "solve real world solutions" but actually implement those solutions.

Right about now half of you are hoping I don't just ramble on and on... actually, all of you are hoping that, it's just that half of you have already decided not to read this entire letter... so anyway, I'll cut to the point.  I applied to Dartmouth.  They have an "Entrepreneurship Track" where they teach you to set up a business.  I've also applied to the Masters in Engineering Management (M.E.M.) program as sort of a back-up.  If I get into Dartmouth's Ph.D. or Engineering Master's program I'd be doing research and they'd in essence be paying me (and covering the costs of all my classes).  If I just to the M.E.M. program I'd have to take out loans and pay for an overpriced education that I could just as easily teach myself by surfing the web or taking night classes at a community college (the latter of which would obviously be more impressive when job hunting than the former).

I could elaborate more on the details, but I'll spare you from them.  I'm currently living just outside of Hanover, NH waiting to get in to Dartmouth.  If I get in, I'll stay here and start in the fall (still unsure as to when I'd give my notice at my job).  If I don't get in, I'll probably say no to the M.E.M. program which will most likely accept me and I'll move down to Keene to work at my current employer for a while, most likely while taking night classes for an M.B.A. or something (ew).

I think the biggest thing right now is that I can't make any kind of decisions on either future scenario.  If I stay in Hanover I want to buy a more comfortable mattress.  I'm going to be moving to Keene I'd like to buy a house.  There are a lot of other decisions hanging out there waiting to be made, but those are good enough examples.

I think the nicest thing about my life is that I am single and get to make all my decisions based just on my preferences and pseudo-logic.

I know the saddest thing about my life is that I am single and most of my daily decisions are based on which things to check out on the internet, which beer to buy, and which station to set the cable box to.

But enough about "current and future me", next blog let's talk about "past me."

No comments:

Post a Comment